Talks and Conference Papers
"The Role of Emotion in Neo-sentimentalist accounts of Moral Judgment", for a workshop on the Ethical Aspects of the Emotions
- The Centre for the Study of Mind in Nature, University of Oslo, Norway, June 12, 2008
"Emotions and Deliberative Reasons"
- Union College, February 1, 2007
- "Altruism and the Experimental Data on Helping Behavior"
- Lafayette College, October 25, 2005
- CUNY Graduate School, Cognitive Science Group, April 1, 2005
- "Can a Feeling Be a Reason?"
- Vassar College, November 28, 2001
- Queens University, Kingston, Ontario, November 15, 2001
- ‘15 Minute Paper’ Discussion Group, Columbia University Law School, October 23, 2001
- "Reasons and Deliberative Relevance"
- American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division meeting (Symposium presentation), San Francisco, CA, March, 2001
- Barnard College, Columbia University, January 29, 2001
- Washington University in St. Louis, January 17, 2001
- "The Normativity of the Instrumental Principle: a preliminary proposal"
- American Philosophical Association, Eastern Division meeting, New York, NY, December, 2000
- Southern Society for Philosophy and Psychology, Atlanta, GA, April 21, 2000
- "The Choice between Actual and Remembered Pain"
- Washington University in St. Louis, February 11, 2000
- Carnegie Mellon University, January 24, 2000
- Society for Philosophy and Psychology, Stanford University, June 21, 1999
- American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division meeting, Berkeley, CA, April 1, 1999
- "Prudence and Dissociation from the Present"
- University of Georgia, February 4, 2000
- The Graduate School at CUNY, Graduate Philosophy Conference, April 24, 1999
- Union College, February 1, 1999
- "Reasons and Other Turn-ons"
- New Jersey Regional Philosophy Association, Felician College, November 14, 1998
- "Motivation and Power Relations in the Classroom"
- Teaching/Learning Conference, Rutgers University, January 24, 1998 (Published in the Teaching/Learning Conference proceedings by the Teaching Assistant Project, the Graduate School - New Brunswick, 2000.)
- "What's Art Got to Do With It?: the National Endowment for the Arts, the Aesthetic, and the Public"
- Conference, The Aesthetic: Art and World, Center for the Critical Analysis of Contemporary Culture, Rutgers University, December 5, 1997
Workshop and Panel Presentations
“Can a Relativist Be Tolerant?”, Presentation and panel discussion, In Terrorism's Wake: Community Forum on Moral Relativism and the Conflict of Values, Barnard College, January 28, 2002
“Motivating Students”, Workshop leader, Rutgers - New Brunswick TA Orientation, August 28, 1997
“Cognitive Psychology and the Bias Toward Endings”, Presentation to Rutgers Undergraduate Philosophy Group, February 18, 1997
“Academic Integrity and Ethical Issues”, Panelist, Rutgers - New Brunswick Foreign TA Orientation, Aug. 28, 1996
“Politics and Emotion in the Classroom”, Workshop leader, October 12, 1995, sponsored by the Teaching Assistant Project, the Graduate School - New Brunswick, Rutgers University
“The Gateway Student”, Invited speaker, Gateway Program TA Workshop, sponsored by Rutgers University Faculty of Arts and Sciences, August 29, 1995